- Candidacy Recommendation Forms completed right after you do your proposal.
- If these two forms are not turned in on time, you will need to petition to have this deadline waived.
- Fill out Final exam report.
- Ruth Magaña can type it up and the chair of the defense signs it.
- Check your transcript
- Make sure all the courses you've taken are listed and have had grades reported for them. If not, you will need to contact the instructor of the course and possibly the registrar to get the appropriate form for the instructor to complete.
- Application for the Degree
- This is the "pink card" required by the registrar.
- Dissertation and forms turned in to The University of Chicago Dissertation Office
- Printing the dissertation in a format acceptable to the University is a challenge best not left to the last minute. If you're especially industrious and can complete it 2 weeks or more ahead of the deadline, the Office will proofread it for potential formatting problems which could delay your graduation by a quarter. Details about University-Wide Requirements for the Ph.D are described in detail at here.
- All tuition and fees paid in full.
- Double check with Ruth Magaña that everything is in order for your graduation.
- Submit one copy of thesis for binding for CMP
- There is an office on the 2nd floor of the bookstore in the back of the textbooks section which outsources professional binding. The CMP will pay to get a hardbound copy of your dissertation for posterity.
- Rent cap and gown
- You can do this on the 2nd floor of the bookstore. Pick them up a day or two before convocation and return them within the next couple of days.
- Get your thesis professionally bound
- The bookstore contracts out professional hardback binding services through an office located in the rear of the textbook section. It usually takes 6-8 weeks.
A Ph.D. education would not be complete without some rudimentary training in leaping administrative hurdles. This page represents an attempt to clarify the required steps so that you will actually graduate when you've told your family, friends, and future employers you will.
Ruth Magaña (4-7769) should have all of these forms.
One final word of advice: check with Ruth Magaña roughly a month before convocation to confirm that you've cleared all the jumps.
Required by the University or Division
|8 months before convocation|
|Roughly 1 quarter before graduation|
|When you register for the quarter you are graduating|
|3.5 weeks before convocation|
|During the quarter leading up to convocation|
|End of 8th or 9th week of quarter (depends on quarter)|
Required by the Department
|3 wks before convocation|
Other related documents: